Friday, September 17, 2010

A piece of my memory

Everyone has a song or multiple songs that seem as if they were pulled right out of your life. I happen to have a few. One of the songs that really hits home for me is RnB artist Luther Vandross's 'Dance With My Father" song. I have always been a huge Luther Vandross fan. What would you expect? I am an eighties baby and my parents played all the good music through my early years and still today. What Luther Vandross is singing about in this song is his deceased father. In the song he says that his father used to dance with him when he was a little child. He says, "If I could get another breath, another walk, another dance with him; I'd play a song that would never ever end. How I'd love, love, love, to dance with my father again". He is holding on to such a beautiful memory of his father in one of his purest moments. While I have no clue what is is like to lose a father, I am a huge daddy's girl! From as far back as I could remember, my father has always been a hardworking man. In my very early years, back in the 80's, my father worked two jobs. The only time I would see him was when he first came home in the morning and went to bed. I would ride my tricycle up the sidewalk to meet him, and then he would pick me up and give me a big hug and kiss. Then we would go in the house and he would play either some old school music or The Deal's "Bang Bang Shoot em Up" song, then he would stand me on his feet and dance around the house with me. Even before I could walk, he always danced with me, and my mother also. Those moments are precious to me because despite how tired my father was from working, and despite the fact that we were struggling with finances, I knew that my father loved me dearly and that his family was the light of his life.
As I got older, I understood everything my family was going through back then in the 80's, but as a family we always found joy through prayer, music, singing, and dancing. The memory of me and my father dancing around the house will always be special to me, I think about those memories almost every day. Then years ago when "Dance With My Father" hit the radio and television, I just knew that song was about my life. Luther Vandross wasn't only talking to people who have a deceased father, but he was also talking to people who have that memory of their father spinning them around in the air and dancing with them on his feet or in his arms. Such a precious moment. Luther Vandross cherished those times just as myself and many other people in the world do. This song does more than just entertain me, it reminds me of how great of a father I have. It reminds me of the love that flows throughout my family, and those moments helped us cope with all if the disastrous things that were occurring around our family at that time. So I will always love this song. It will continue to be my favorite and I don't think anything can top it.

No comments:

Post a Comment